Thursday, April 24, 2014

Magnificence in Nature; Sedona, Bell Rock & Montezuma Castle

This past week I spent on vacation in Goodyear, Arizona with my mother. She relocated there after receiving an amazing job opportunity and it was my time to go visit her. It was my first time in Arizona since I was 13 when we briefly visited the Grand Canyon. 

We divided our days up into little day trips to beautiful places in Arizona. So I will be dividing up my trip in photographs, in new posts. Therefore one post isn't so darn long. 

On this days trip we took the 2 hour hall out of Goodyear to visit Montezuma Castle as well as Sedona. 

Montezuma Castle is ancient ruins that were built into the side of a cliff out of clay, stone and wood. It was magnificent to see this wonder of the human world and our evolution. Montezuma Castle was mesmerizing and so beautiful as it sits up top the hill blending into the limestone rock. The Lush landscapes made this visit magical as well. The many new types of trees and plant life added color and life to the Castle ruins. 





I was also lucky enough to capture a bee about to pollinate a beautiful butter cup looking flower. If anyone knows the name of this flower please let me know because it is gorgeous and I would love to sound a little more intelligent with my flower names.... 





Sedona on the other hand was very different. Sedona is a city built in the middle of amazing rock formations. I told my mom on this trip that it was like being down at the bottom of the Grand Canyon if it had deteriorated more. It was so amazing to be surrounded by massive red rock and green trees down in the valley. 



I love taking pictures out of car windows. I think it gives more life and motion to photographs and more travel excitement. Plus you can see the actual photographer in their element. 

Sedona was very upscale and we visited a little fancy shopping center called Tlaquepaque. It was full of beautiful buildings that looked as if they sprouted right out of nature. The shopping center was more fun to photograph than it was to actually shop. 











Then of course the whole goal of the day was to climb Bell Rock. This is one of the smaller rocks in the area but so magnificent to climb. I am pretty sure my mother and I went in areas not allowed to the public, but we knew we were not the only ones who did it because we saw Cairns all the way around and names carved into the rock with what looked like chalk, but was actually just another piece of rock. WE wanted to go almost to the top like a few other people but we couldn't seem to find the way, so we ended up walking all the way around the entire rock. Any Zelda fans out there? remember sidling with link? that's what it felt like! See photographs below. There is no way I can describe to you the feeling we had being up so high because the photographs don't show you how truly steep and high up we were on the rock. It was amazing, except for the sunburn on one half of me that came along with it.
 Yes that is what we were about to climb...




Our cairn dedicated to my Oma (my greatgrandmother). Always thinking of her and her beautiful poems.

Can you spot the little creature in this photograph?!



My Beautiful Mother.=)





And yes we went through that little crevice...We were crazy!

I hope you all get to visit an amazing place like this in your life time. Its full of wonders and amazement. Its a great place to go with family or with friends! I cannot wait to go again with my love. 




2 comments:

  1. Andrea - you are VERY good. I LOVE the pics of Arizona!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I save any of these pics, can I use it on FB, or are they copyrighted?

    ReplyDelete